Sunday 13 July 2008

Running...

Let's face it... I am not a runner. I was not built to run... I hate running... can I make this any clearer??

That being said, I have started running... again... blech.

For Mother's Day, my son Chris bought me a very nice pair of Nike Shox at the Nike Employees store in Portland. These are supposed to be the most comfortable shoes for running they have. I'd just started going to the Fitness Center at Gowen Field (Air National Guard Base) to run on the treadmill, as I'd hit a plateau losing weight just going to Curves, and wanted to bump up the calorie burn.
These shoes are ones which have the space in the shoe for a Nike+ sensor, so you can sync it with your iPod Nano and track your runs/walks. Too cool!! The only problem was that neither of my iPods are Nanos. Not cool! So, I put about 75 miles on the treadmill with them, writing down my milege in a diary.

Now, though, Nike has come out with a new Nike+. This one has a wristband with the sensor, so you can use it without an iPod. It has a USB connection that you just plug into your computer to download your stats. I want!!

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?sitesrc=USPL&l=nikestore,nikeplus,overview&re=US&co=US&la=EN#l=nikestore,running,what_is,_pdp,cid-1/gid-181290/pid-181290&re=US&co=US&la=EN

Anyway...
I have always been a treadmill runner, recently running to Podrunner beat music. But today, I went to the High School track to see how I'd do with "roadwork". I still used the Podrunner music, trying to figure out which BPM (Beats per minute) rate was good for me. I did 2.75 miles in about 45 minutes, and that included a lot of walk/run laps. Not too bad for an old lady, eh??

The point of blogging all this is to keep me going.

Are you a runner? How do you keep motivated?? Are you a morning or evening runner? Inside or out? Let me know!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm a running, but most definitely not a treadmill runner. I'd rather run outside in anything that isn't dangerous (lightning, ice, etc) than run on the treadmill. I'm an evening runner because I'm old too. By the end of the day, I'm sufficiently warmed up to run. How do I stay motivated? I'm part of two running forums geared towards beginners. Both have team competitions that involve adding up your weekly mileage so if I don't run enough, I feel bad because I'm letting the team down. Most of the time I don't need external motivation though. I like running.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm moving to Boise the first weekend in August so have started looking for bloggers out there.

I have to have my I*pod to workout rather it's weights or cardio. I'm not much of a runner but I keep trying to the dismay of my knees and ankles.

Nice to "meet" you. I'll be checking in.

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you too, Renee... I added you to my Twitter... no surprise, I'm Tiggr on there too... and on Paltalk, and idtiggr on skype...

You will really like Boise!! It's a great town for doing stuff outdoors, plenty of greenbelt miles along the river for biking and running/walking and you can float the river all summer.

Laurel

Seth Harwood said...

Nice blog you got here. I like your 7S widget. Got to get some Jack Palms ones like that!

Let's get you signed up at sethharwood.com!