Monday 27 October 2008

And, as long as I'm blogging...

I recently took a long road trip with the first leg being from Boise to Colorado Springs to see my son. Dave works for SRAM Company (http://www.sram.com/) which makes components for road and mountain bicycles, as well as trains dealers and mechanics at STU (SRAM Technical University).

Dave has been in CS for almost 18 months, so I felt it was high time I went to see he and Teri, his girlfriend. I thought, early October should be fine... no snow... yeah right... brilliant plan...

I started out on Friday, 10 October, in what I (though not most weathermen) would consider a full blown blizzard. Great. The earliest snowfall in recorded Boise history, and I leave town in it. I knew I had at least a five hour drive ahead to Salt Lake City, so I couldn't delay anymore than I already had. Fortunately, the snow ended about 30 miles past Boise, and was smooth sailing after that. All was fine on the drive to SLC as I had a full iPod (plus backup), my Crackberry with GPS direction to my first stop, and a tank full of gas. I thought...

I arrived at my first stop, which was the Worldmark by Wyndham location in Eden, Utah. I'd booked a night in this timeshare location as a perfect first stop on Friday night. It's about a 14 hour drive to CoSp and it would cut a big chunk out of the drive. Well, just like me, I get to reception, and realize that I'd booked for the night before, Thursday night. Sheesh! I'd only read the confirmation three or four times, but still I'd managed to cock it up somehow. Oh well... back in the car...

As it was the Friday of a three-day weekend, and the resort was 100% full, my choices were simple... drive down the mountain to Ogden and stop for the night, or get back on the Interstate, head for Wyoming, and stop somewhere down the road. I chose the latter. So off I went again.


Next... Day 2

No comments: